Sunday, July 13, 2008

Other Creatures

Besides monkeys and dogs I also have daily interactions with: lizards, iguanas, crabs, mosquitos, no-see-'ums, chickens, cats, birds, frogs, I'll do this ecology lesson-style
Lizards So on the monkey island there are also many lizards that eat the monkey chow. There are beautiful black and blue ones that are vegetarian and eat leaves and monkey chow. Then there are the brown ones tha teat the blue ones and dead iguanas.
Iguanas There are some huuuuge iguanas on Cayo, and the staff is constantly keeping their numbers down. Last year they dug up their eggs and threw them into the ocean. They also shoot them with rifles and behead them with machetes. The monkeys usually don't pay too much attention to the iguanas, but sometimes they will grab an aguana by the tail and pick it up, swing it around, or just hold it so the iguana cannot run. When they let go, the iguana sometimes slaps them with their tail, which has a ridge that goes all the way down from their backs with spikes, which hurts the monkey. Then the iguana runs away with their funny feet that makes them look like they have wheels.
Crabs Two kinds. Hermit crabs and roadside crabs. The hermit crabs are all over the island, and are pretty cute. I pick them up sometimes and look at the, but if their too big they can reach around the shell and pinch me. Roadside crabs are a whole different thing. So if your driving at night on the roads here there area always people with flashlighs off to the side looking for crabs. There is barely room for 2 cars on the roads, and these people with nothing but flashlighs expect you to see them, and not kill them! Its very scary to drive at night because of it. I've been told if you find a crab off to the side you feed him for a month to clean them out, corn or something, then you eat them.
Mosquitos The mosquitos don't like me, but they loooove Grace. Sucks for her, seriously. The mosquitos are tiny here, and they don't fly straight. Its nice because they don't have the obnoxious buzzing sound, but are impossibel to kill!
No-see-'ums. This is their technical name. These guys are tinnnny little monsters that really sting when they bite or sting you, I'm not even sure what they do. They're very random. Sometimes right when I get out of the water they attack me, but sometimes they don't. Sometimes they get me while walking the dog at sunset, but sometimes not. Obnoxious. Luckily, though, they don't hurt or itch later.
Chickens The house next to the office has many chickens and roosters. The rooster does his call thing throughout the day, so I guess his circadium rhythem is off. There are also chickens up the street, that are uncaged but I beleive belongs to a family. One time a rooster came and sat in front of our house and scared away a cat.
Cats. Sooo many cats, probably just as many as street dogs. They like to sleep on top of cars and taunt our dogs. They make the dogs bark all day and all night, ggrrrr. One time I let Pandora have a stare off with a cat, and the cat pounced at her, and now she's even more scared of them. When we begin our walks, like 4 a day, she always looks under cars for them.
Birds There are beautiful white egrets, and one lands everyday in the same place on the island when I am eating lunch. The pelicans look like teradactals when they are flying. The Pigeons in San Juan are disgusting.
Frogs. There are frogs the size of my fist that are fun to watch jump away. I only started seeing them, but maybe this is because I have to walk Pandora every night now. There are also tiny tan frogs that I've never seen, but are kind of the emblem of Puerto Rico. They are called Coqui's, because that is the sound they make. They're Very loud, and start making their noises once the sun goes down until about midnight. There's a really good cheese called Coqui cheese, and the coqui is the symbol next to the Puero Rico Google home page, because that shows you for real how important the frog is to PR, right? Our neighbor said that once her dog was playing in our back yard and had a frog in its mouth, then 10 minutes later the dogs face swelled up immensly, and they had to tak it to the vet for a shot. I'll work on not letting that happen to me or my puppy.
More Dogs Yesterday for the first time I walked around a neighborhood with Pandora on the other side of the highway(its a joke to call it a highway, its a small but major street). As I walked into the neighborhood the dogs in their respective houses started barking, like a wave. The barking started about 2 houses ahead of my path, and ended about 4 houses behind me. OOO it was loud. Some houses had 4 small dogs, some 2 big dogs, some dogs on the roof. All mutts, ALL strange twists of dog fate.
Rats/Mice. Grace saw a small furry being in our kitchen. Crap.
Horses. Someone has a horse tied up next to the beach in a little green area. Sometimes in the afternoon I hear the guy running around on the horse. That's really all I know about it.
That's about as much as I know. Enjoy!

No comments: