Friday, July 4, 2008

Why do so many Adventures involve Old Men?

After a big adventure snorkeling around the Monkey Island with Paco, and then a trip to his friends house, I reflected back that I've made friends with 4 Old men in the month I've been here.
First of all, when Loren and I were in Old San Juan, while we ate dinner the night before she left an old dude named Julio talked to us for about an hour. I guess he's a usual to the restaurante, and stood outside the bars of patio with a glass of wine from the restaurante and talked to us. We shot some shit, and it turned out that he had grown up in my current town, and I told him how I love Puerto Rico but have problems getting around with no car. He said he has property in this side of the island and could pick me up and gave me his number. I haven't done anything with it yet.
Another was when Grace and I went surfing at Luquillo beach, and we met Tom Fergeston, the surfing instructor OF that beach (in his opinion). He invited us back the next day, and said he was having a BBQ on the beach, and that every sunday he went to bar down the street where there was a great live rhumba band. I had a car and it sounded interseting, so we showed up at the beach the next day, and found him drinking with a group of people. I went over to talk to him, met some people who were playing reggae music. (Sorry for this next part to all family members and those I know through Academic institutions) I met one older guy who was well drunk for 5pm who told me I had a nice ass for 10 minutes stright, I have no idea how he did it but he had a LOT of ways of saying it. (That's the end of the nonPG part)
Tom gave me a few rides on his surf board, which was much easier than the board I had rented the day before, which was his point. Tom was a really nice guy and I liked his friendly attitude. This all changed once we got to the bar, I bought him a drink for the 20 minute surf lesson, and he started hitting on Grace non-stop and was just another dirty, old, drunk man. The band was amazing, though, with an upright base, great horns, keyboard, and a singer who didn't even need a microphone who was, as Tom said, as "gay as the sky is blue."
Next was Paco and the snorkeling boat. Paco owns a good sized, maybe 15 seater, bright red, blue, and yellow boat that we see a few times a week circling around the monkey island. He teaches tourists about the monkeys, gets close so that his passangers can see them, and provides snorkeling equipment. The snorkeling was awesome. On one side I've always seen a few pelicans that hang out on some things sticking out of the water, which Paco explained is a ship wreck. A nice reef had formed with crazy huge brain corals, sea urchins, and some tropical fish. There were also huge star fish all over the bottom. Back on the boat, Paco handed us (me, Maria, and Maria's friend) each instruments, turned on salso music. He started dancing and encouraging us to do the same. We did for a few minutes, entertaining. On our way to the next snorkeling spot on the other side of the island, we asked him many questions, none of which he answered though he definetly thought he was. He's definetly an eccentric, crazy, nature-loving old man. He used to be the post master in Punta Santiago, told me he was once a teacher and when I asked him further he said "well I'm a jack of all trades." His knowledge of the monkeys when we asked for what he tells otherse was very close to on point, but not coooommmpletly there.
Once the sun was beginning to set and we needed to start home he asked if we wanted to visit his friend, a guy from New York's, amazing house. We said sure, and so his friend, I forgot his name so I'll call him Joe, met us at the dock. Paco explained that Joe's house had just been broken into, so it wasn't a great sight but we should definetly see the view. Joe took us in his car up to his house, straight up the hill, about 5 minutes from the dock. His house has an ammaaazing view, overlooking a huge portion of coast, looking west so that one can see many bays and inlets along the coast. It also has a wonderful view of Cayo Santiago. As it turned dark there was a wonderful breeze, and we could see the coast line light up, and the dark, mysterious monkey island right in the middle. Just wonderful.
So of course its Puerto Rico, so though a robbery had occured a few days before Joe came down to his beautiful vacation home in PR, the police couldn't make it to do fingerprints until the day after we visited. The whole house was a crime scene. He showed us some of the oddities of the incident. The robbers drank 3 whole bottles of rum, and had begun to pack many things to steal, which they started loading into a room. The robbers had taken down the shower curtains, putting the clips into a bowl like respectful robbers. They had moved many strage things it appeared they wanted to steal into a room, such as mirrors, DVDs, and other statues, that Joe explained were definetly not in their correct spot. Joe explained that his neighbors heard something going on, and so called the police and came to the house. The robbers then excaped, leaving most of the things behind, besides all of Joe's underwear and a suit. Wierd.
When it came time for someone to take us home, Paco and Joe turned into old men. First they told us we had to come back once the place was cleaned up for some wine, which wasn't too strange. But then they got into a little old man conversation that didn't make any sense about who should take us home, in which car and who should leave what equipment where. It took about another 30 minutes before things were arranged so that we could get a ride home, which included taking 10 minutes to back a car up very carefully into a parking spot and losing an electronic gate opener that Paco had in his hand a minute earlier.
I've been in Purto Rico for a little over a month now, and I find the number of old men that I feel I know quite well very strange. I'm not sure if its because I talk to them too much because I find them un-intimidating, because they enjoy talking to me, or what. I've only met one Puertorequeno, the guy who works at the key making kiosk, and his phone number doesn't work anymore. Its not that I'm incredibly anxoious to meet Puerto Ricans my own age, but something just seems off.
Today is the 4th of July and I'm not sure what lies in store for tonight. I may go to San Juan with Grace and her bf, or just stay here in Punta. There are many people coming into town, but its mostly families and I don't think there is any central party or anything. If I do stay here maybe I'll get the nerve to walk around and at least see whats happening. There are huge packs of fireworks for sale at Walmart, so I suppose fireworks are legal. We'll just have to see what happens.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Have you met Cesar yet? He is the old guy with dyed hair who hangs around the Fish cooperative near the dock. Part of the difficulty with meeting locals closer to our age group is that they either have young children so we don't coincide in time/space or they are not in Punta Santiago area.

Paco was something, but the view from Joe's house was really something.

Happy 4th! Hope you had a relaxing and fun holiday! =)